Inhalt des Dokuments
News, forums, slides and other ressources are available on the module's ISIS-page .
Please register yourself using the module's registration form  in ISIS.
|Thursday||14-16||EN 458 (Lab)|
Start: April 17, 2009
Informatik (Diplom): Study Area BKS
Informatik (MSc): Mandatory course in module MINF-KT-PS 
Technische Informatik (Diplom): Catalogue Technical Applications
Technische Informatik (MSc): Mandatory course in module MINF-KT-PS 
The integrated course will give an introduction to parallel programming. Based on the two paradigms of parallel programming, message passing and shared memory, basic parallel algorithms are presented. Practical training will be provided by programming assignments which have to be implemented in MPI and/or OpenMP and executed on a cluster computer. The course runs in parallel to the lecture course Cluster Computing. Both complement each other and form the module Parallel Systems.
After finishing this course
- understand the fundamental difference between shared memory and message passing programming models
- know the primitives and control structures of MPI and OpenMP and how to use them
- be able to implement parallel
algorithms in either MPI or OpenMP
- Programming models for parallel computing
- Fundamental parallel algorithms
- Concepts of MPI and MPI2
- Concepts of OpenMP
- Introduction to the cluster management software CCS
- Andrews, G. A.: Foundations of Multithreaded, Parallel and Distributed Programming, Addison-Wesley, 2000.
- Jaja, J.: An introduction to parallel algorithms, Addison-Wesley, 1992.
- Quinn, M.: Parallel programming in C with MPI and OpenMP, Mgraw-Hill, 2003.
- Rauber, Th., Rünger,
G.: Parallele Programmierung, 2. Aufl. Springer, 2007.
course consists of two meetings per week. One meeting (Friday, 10-12)
is a mix of lecturing, introduction of assignments and discussion of
results. The other meeting (Thursday, 14-16) is in the computer lab to
solve the programming assignments with some guidance and
examination of the module (together with Cluster Computing).
Successful completion of assignments is a prerequisite.
Bachelor in Informatics or related, Basic knowledge in computer architecture, operating systems, algorithms and data structures, C programming
+49 30 314-73160
Raum EN 353
+49 30 314-79833
Raum EN 356